Levy Election May 21, 2019
The Emmett Independent School District Board of Trustees has determined that there is a need for a supplemental levy in the amount of $1,500,000 per year for two years. This levy will replace our current levy which is expiring June 30, 2019.The focus of this levy is to provide our students with the necessary resources to prepare them for their individual success. There are three areas of emphasis:
Following are a few examples of how the levy funds will be used to:
- Provide for appropriate staffing to maintain reasonable class sizes and provide needed services.
- Provide safe and well maintained facilities for learning.
- Improve teaching and learning through continued implementation of our Blended Learning model and provide for quality curriculum materials.
- Fulfill one of the main requests from our elementary teachers by providing a counselor for their students. This support will address the challenges facing many of our students.
- Continue providing a behavioral specialist to support the students and teachers in addressing challenging behaviors.
- Continue makeing significant improvements in our curriculum. Through the past two levies we have replaced our English Language Arts, and our math curriculum. With this levy, the District will be able to purchase new curriculums for science, social studies, and other areas. This new curriculum will include online resources so we can reach all our students and make our teachers more efficient.
- Add a new course to our Middle School for all 8th grade students to explore careers through virtual job shadow experiences and assist them in creating their four year plan for courses through high school so they will be prepared for college and careers.
- Put more emphasis on providing necessary funds to maintain our 375,478 square feet of student occupied school buildings. The levy will provide $600,000 per year to continue to maintain and upgrade the schools.
There is a facilities committee that is exploring the construction of a new school and major remodels of our older schools to address the growth of our District. The continued ongoing maintenance of our schools are required each year.Over the next few weeks we will be providing more information about the use of the proposed levy. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Emmett Middle School was built in 1954 with the "new" addition added in 1972. It is a solid building... The debate is, do we build new or remodel what we have? It is the same question many homeowners ask themselves. The cost of a new Middle School would be about 35 million dollars. The major remodel will cost about 13.4 million...