School Board Trustee Election Information
The Emmett School District is governed by a Board of Trustees whose members are elected by the community and serve by volunteering their time. The District is a specially chartered school district that was established before Idaho became a state. Under the provisions of the District’s charter, there are no trustee zones. All six (6) board members are elected in a countywide election and may live anywhere within the Emmett School District.
November 2019 is the next election for board trustees. This year instead of having three (3) trustee vacancies there will be five (5) vacancies. If you are interested in running for this election, you will need to submit a notarized Declaration of Candidacy and a Petition of Candidacy with five (5) signatures from individuals currently residing in the Emmett School District. The signatures must be verified with the Gem County Clerk’s Office prior to submission. You will also need to submit documentation in regards to the Sunshine Report. All documents are available at the Emmett School District Office, on the district’s website (www.emmettschools.org), and the Gem County Clerk’s Office. The window to turn in your candidacy paperwork is August 26th through 5:00 pm on September 6th.
If you have any questions, please contact the Emmett School District Board Clerk, Heather Vaughn.
Board Elections are held in November with the new board member(s) taking seat in January. Board terms are four years on a staggered basis. A Board Member must be
- Individuals need to be eighteen (18) years old,
- A United States citizen, and
- A resident of the Emmett School District for at least 30 days.
- Idaho Code 33‐507 (3) states, “No spouse of any trustee may be employed by a school district with a fall student enrollment population of greater than one thousand two hundred (1,200) in the prior school year.”
To be included on a ballot, the prospective Board Member will complete the following process (view the Candidate Filing Packet-PDF) :
- Complete a Petition of Candidacy, which includes gathering a minimum of 5 registered voter signatures
- Have the signatures verified at the County Clerks office
- Complete the Declaration of Candidacy form
- Submit the verified Petition of Candidacy and Declaration of Candidacy to the District Clerk at the Emmett School District Office by the deadline.
- The District will forward the information to the County Clerks office for preparation of ballots for the November elections.