On May 21, the Emmett School Board will be asking the residents of Gem County to decide on a replacement to our current maintenance and operations levy. The levy is for $100,000 more than our current levy which will expire June 30, 2019. Tax rates will only increase $10 per year on $100,000 of assessed property value.
The new levy will be for $1,500,000 for 2 years; a total of $3,000,000. The goals for this levy are:
Following are a few examples of how the levy funds will be used:
- Maintain appropriate class sizes and provide needed supports for staff and students.
- Offer safe and well maintained facilities for learning.
- Purchase updated textbooks and other instructional tools to support a high-quality education.
- Fulfill one of the main requests from our elementary teachers by providing a counselor for their students. This support will address the challenges facing many of our students.
- Continue providing a behavioral specialist to support the students and teachers in addressing challenging behaviors.
- Continue making significant improvements in our curriculum. Through the past two levies we have replaced our English Language Arts, and our math curriculum. With this levy, the District will be able to purchase new curriculums for science, social studies, and other areas. This new curriculum will include online resources so we can reach all our students and make our teachers more efficient.
- Add a new course to our Middle School for all 8th grade students to explore careers through virtual job shadow experiences and assist them in creating their four year plan for courses through high school so they will be prepared for college and careers.
- Put more emphasis on providing necessary funds to maintain our 375,478 square feet of student occupied school buildings. The levy will provide $600,000 per year to continue to maintain and upgrade the schools.
An Emmett School Levy Committee has formed for this levy. They can be reached by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. They are planning to be at many events in the community and provide information through Facebook and other social media outlets. They are meeting every Thursday at 6:00 p.m. at the Butte View Complex.
Many of our parents in Gem County are not registered to vote. If you wish to participate in this election you will need to be registered. You can register online at https://apps.idahovotes.gov/
If you'd like to vote by absentee ballot, the information and procedure can be found at https://www.gemcounty.org/elections/absentee-voting/ or at the County Clerk's Office.
Emmett Middle School was built in 1954 with the "new" addition added in 1972. It is a solid building... The debate is, do we build new or remodel what we have? It is the same question many homeowners ask themselves. The cost of a new Middle School would be about 35 million dollars. The major remodel will cost about 13.4 million...